As I started planning the remodeling of our master bathroom, I knew that I wanted a spa-like retreat. Reading up on some principles of feng shui lead me to design a clean and clutter free look and feel. We began our bathroom remodeling ideas based on a few key principles of feng shui.
This post is sponsored by Extra Space Storage. All thoughts and photography are my own and are not influenced by Extra Space Storage. Thanks for supporting the brands that support this blog.
The location of our master bathroom is such that there is only one window. In a perfect world or new build, a true devotee of feng shui principles might consult the bagua map to determine layout that infuses optimal chi. We didn’t have that option but we could make our bathroom light and bright with the fit and finishes.
Feng shui means wind and water. Water represents energy and money and water is one of the main elements in a bathroom. Our bathroom represents how we take care of ourselves. A bathroom should be welcoming; an inspirational, zen and calming place. You can start out your day with a fresh feeling and end your day in a peaceful manner to prepare for a restful sleep.
Bathroom remodeling ideas using feng shui
Here are some tips:
1. Create some luxury in the space with fresh towels, a spa robe, thick cushy throw rugs. All of these will give you a soothing and pampering feeling.
2. Splurge on personal care products with a fresh scent like body washes and lotions. Scents can really impact your energy.
3. Add some live plants for not only air cleansing but infuse living chi and make a space positive. Reconnect with nature in your spa bath.
4. Candles are wonderful but in feng shui they represent the fire element and that conflicts with the water element. Enjoy them for a soak in the tub, but then stash your candle away.
5. Use soothing colors from nature in the bathroom…such as green, silver and brown.
6. Keep your bathroom clean! While this may seem obvious you want to get rid of any dirty energy.
7. Declutter and use the out of sight, out of mind technique for a peaceful zen look and feel. If you simply have too many things in your home and no place to store them, you may want to consider an off site storage as Extra Space Storage offers. We are thinking of moving in the next couple of years and starting to put together pieces to store, so it’s a great option for us!
8. Add wood elements, as wood’s energy is uplifting and preserves positive Chi and prevents it from draining away.
While Extra Space Storage can offer options for additional storage, they also have a wonderful blog that addresses these varied storage needs. For more ideas about designing your bathroom using Feng Shui, visit the Extra Space Storage Blog.
What do you feel are some of the essentials to have in your master bathroom? I’d love to know in the comments!