This post is sponsored by Birch Lane.
A beautiful affordable wedding reception at home is definitely doable for all! We are coming off the high of tossing together a celebration this past weekend for our daughter. Although our girlie and her guy had been engaged for a couple of years they sprung the wedding plans on us just a few weeks ago! Yikes…I think that everyone who knows me figured that I could pull it off. As a consummate planner down to to the last detail of pretty much everything, I was up for the challenge!
My lovely daughter had a few wishes and one of the smartest things that she did was to set up a Google spreadsheet for the family and assign each of us tasks. She decided to invite her closest friends and relatives and with such short notice there was a manageable amount of peeps for our outdoor affair. Her theme was centered around three of her favorite styles and that got the wheels turning. Boho, romantic and French…which if you follow along with me you may have noticed I too love!
Flowers make a room whether indoors or outside and I ordered several favorites from my local wholesaler. We had David Austin roses, Cloony Hanoi ranunculus, coral peonies, anemones, lambs ear and eucalyptus. Yes…typical “flowers in the sink” photo, but these flowers are far from typical. You could definitely do a more budget arrangement with flowers from the grocery store and mix in faux flowers and greenery!
This party setting looks elegant and did take planning, elbow grease and thought…but you can do this too. It’s economical compared to having a catering hall type of event. More fun in my opinion too!
VIDEO WITH TIPS BELOW
Tips for a beautiful affordable wedding reception.
- Location – I realize that not everyone can do a wedding reception at home. My husband and I got married at the beach, and outdoor weddings are amazing! Be sure that you have a plan B (or tent).
- Paperless Post – You can save on invitations and just sent out the event as many millenials do via the Paperless Post website.
- Flowers – mine were from a floral wholesaler, and if you don’t run a business you can still buy wholesale on-line or use faux flowers. As I mentioned, grocery store flowers will do if you foof them up.
- Tableware – most of the items on our tables were vintage that I’ve collected for a long time. If you don’t have a lot of vintage items you should hit up the thrift shops and scouring for linens, plates, glassware and flatware. More about THRIFT SHOPPING here.
- Food – I didn’t want to do the cooking so we ordered food from a local restaurant that is known for catering. We set up the food buffet style and I purchased a reusable party warming kit. Find that HERE.
- Stocking The Bar – Stocking the bar with mostly wine and beer helps hold down the cost. If relatives offer to help, have them bring a case of champagne or wine!
Mix and Match For An Eclectic Theme!
Not everything needs to match, therefore it adds interest when you mix up the table setting decor! I borrowed some folding banquet tables from a friend and purchased others. You can push tables together to form long and lush looking dinner tables. When covered in linen tablecloths, who’s to know! The chairs are a mix and all have that French feel that we love. Thank you to my friends at Birch Lane for sending me the stunning affordable grey and white check French style LUCIA PATIO STACKING CHAIRS that arrived just in time!
It was so much fun setting up for this beautiful affordable wedding reception!
We served the food buffet style from the kitchen island because it’s hot outside in Miami. Everyone grabbed a plate and headed in and helped themselves. The beautiful affordable wedding reception continued outside.
Lighting For A Night Wedding Event
We knew that this party would last well into the night and planned our outdoor lighting to keep things bright. We purchased commercial string lights that you can find HERE and a dimmer (so glad we did this!) that you’ll find HERE.
I hope that you enjoyed this and please let me know if you have any questions or comments! I’m splitting this event up and will post some more photos and ideas soon! Pin this post below for future reference!