Have you ever wondered if there’s some sort of secret on how to get an amazing night’s sleep? Do you have issues getting a good night’s sleep like many of us do? The party seems to be over once we start having kids when we have to keep an ear open for that crying baby at night. Then as women age and menopause comes along, sleep deprivation turns into a steam room that gets us out of bed to cool off!
It seems to be a one-sided deal and men aren’t as affected which is totally unfair! Right? Right! How is it possible that they get a good night’s sleep every single night?
How To Get An Amazing Night’s Sleep
- This one may be obvious, but I had a hard time getting my girls to heed my sage advice in their teen years. Try and keep your sleep hours the same (or close) every night. I’m not a night owl like I was in my own younger days. I feel the best when I hit the sack at around 10:00 and wake up at 7:00. That’s a good 9 hours of rest and if I don’t get that much I allow myself a quick 20-minute nap the next day.
- Avoid large meals in the evening. Digestion is a lot of work and can keep you awake feeling full.
- Your bedroom should be a haven and a place of respite, refresh, rejuvenation. Keeping it clutter-free and in soothing palettes are conducive to rest. Put all of the tchotchkes away in your nightstand drawers, cabinets or better yet purge all possible.
- Keep your room dark, and that includes blocking your clock. Keep away from electronics for an hour before trying to get to sleep if at all possible. It makes a difference.
Your bed determines how well you will sleep!
- The all-important BED. As they always say, you spend a third of your life in it so make it as comfortable as you can. We sleep on a Sleep Number bed that has a foam topper on it for extra softness. I prefer 100% cotton bedding on all counts and our sheets are always luxe and white. Load it up with quality pillows and soft fluffy duvets or blankets. Treat yourself as if you were spending the night at a 5-star hotel! This is one area of my home in which I do splurge for an amazing night’s sleep. I wash my bed linens every week in a fragrance-free detergent and every couple of weeks the pillows go into the dryer to tumble and fluff up.
- This is a nightly regimen and probably the most important that has helped me learn how to sleep better. I make up a spray bottle with water and essential oils that I keep next to my bed. Right before crawling in I give the sheets and pillows and a light spritz with a fine mist spray bottle.
- It’s so calming and I’m off to dreamland in a field of lavender in France! Try adding a few drops of lavender for calming and a few drops of eucalyptus to open your sinuses to the water, as the amounts that suit your nose and preference. I LOVE Radha Essential Oils and they are so reasonable and you’ll find the HERE. They have a whole slew of excellent products. Happy sleeping!