This easy dairy free spinach mushroom quiche is flavorful and creamy. It’s delicious and can be served for either breakfast, lunch or dinner.
I promised that I’d post more of the vegetarian recipes that I’ve been cooking and this is a staple in our home. I actually posted this recipe first in 2015, and have now updated it and changed some of the ingredients.
PIN THIS RECIPE
For one thing, the cheese in my former recipe has been replaced by dairy free cheese. Dairy-free cheese is so good these days, especially when melted! If you’ve never given it a try, I highly recommend the brand Daiya. You need to melt it to bring out the flavor and gooey texture though.
If you’re watching your calories then you could make this a crustless dairy free spinach mushroom quiche. I love the crust as it’s more filling and it adds extra flavor. This recipe also calls for almond milk, so if you’re lactose intolerant this is perfect for you. You can substitute with other nut milks like cashew if you prefer.
I used mozzarella “cheese” in my quiche, but Daiya has several other flavors such as cheddar and more.
The texture is light and fluffy and the yolks of the eggs give the filling that golden flavor. The mayonnaise makes it extra creamy as well.
Store any leftovers in the fridge for 5 or 6 days, but I doubt that it will remain that long!
I always find that quiche tastes better on the second day after it’s had a chance to settle. You could definitely make this ahead of time and serve for a brunch the following day.
Serve your dairy free spinach mushroom quiche with a healthy blueberry muffin for brunch. A small salad really fills out the meal for dinner. Feel free to substitute or include additional vegetables like sauteed peppers, zucchini and tomatoes. A recipe that you’ll come back to time and time again…yum!
Dairy Free Spinach Mushroom Quiche
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 1/2 cup almond milk - unsweetened
- 4 lg eggs
- 8 oz shredded cheese substitute I like Daiya brand - mozarella or cheddar
- 1 bag fresh baby spinach
- 8 oz white mushrooms
- 1/4 cup red onion - chopped
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake pie shell for 10 minute or until crust is golden brown.
- Steam baby spinach (fresh or frozen) for about 5 minutes. Let cool and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Saute onions for 2 minutes until translucent and add sliced mushrooms. Continue to saute for another 2 - 3 minutes until mushrooms are cooked.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and almond milk until smooth.
- Beat eggs, then whisk them into the mayonnaise/almond milk mixture. Set aside.
- Layer the cheese substitute into the pie shell first.
- Layer spinach, onion and mushroom on top of the cheese substitute.
- Pour egg mixture over the top.
- Place quiche on a cookie sheet and cover quiche with foil.
- Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for around 45 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake for an additional 15 minutes. The top should be golden brown and filling set.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes and serve.
Check out this recent healthy recipe!