These vegetarian walnut slider burgers are so hearty and full of flavor that you will not miss the meat!
When we decide on something around here, you can be sure that we are ALL IN! Although my husband and I both have followed a good diet and exercise plan over the years, it was time for a change. We have been all around healthy, but our cholesterol has started to creep up a bit. Errk! We don’t want to take medications of any sort if possible, so out goes eating any animal product. Plus, we have a deep love of animals in our family and that is the ethical component of our decision.
I’ll let you know how the cholesterol goes but I can say that we are eating healthier than ever and we don’t miss meat. One of our daughters enjoys a mostly vegetarian lifestyle and we’ve been swapping out recipes and ideas. A fun way to bond, when she lives across the country too!
Vegetarian Walnut Slider Burgers – Ingredients
- Chickpeas – Filled with protein and toasted to make them slightly crunchy and delicious!
- Walnuts – The healthiest of nuts that are loaded with heart healthy omega-3s. Toasting takes them to another level.
- Oats – More health benefits as oats are proven to lower cholesterol.
- Pumpkin – With high antioxidant content, this squash is a win/win to add to whatever recipe you can. We even give it daily to our dogs!
Vegetarian Walnut Slider Burgers
- * 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- * 15oz can chickpeas rinsed
- * 1 cup oats can be instant or regular
- * 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- * juice of one fresh lemon
- * 1-2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- * 1/2 cup diced red onion
- * 3/4 cup plain yogurt can be dairy free - I used coconut yogurt
- * 1/3 cup pickle relish
- * 1 tsp chipotle powder to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spread drained chickpeas, walnuts, and oats on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until crisp. Set aside to cool for 5-10 minutes so that you don’t burn your hands.
- Using your food processor, add the walnut, chickpeas and oats mix and pulse for a few minutes just until combined and slightly broken down (not mushy).
- Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse until combined. The mixture should stick together in your hands to form what looks like a dough ball. If it’s too crumbly you can add more pumpkin to moisten it up. Form into slider size patties that are somewhat flat, since you’ll be cooking these on the stove top and you don’t want them too thick.
- Fry in olive oil for about 5 minutes each side, until they are brown. You could also use a grill pan for those grill marks.
- For the sauce, stir together ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Serve on slider buns and add the sauce and some lettuce (tomato slices optional) and enjoy!
I have used both my oven for this recipe and my brand new PowerXL Vortex Air Fryer Plus 5-Quart…which I LOVE!
These have such a nutty flavor and are fast to make to get on your table for a weeknight meal!
PIN THIS RECIPE