This easy vegan lentil bolognese salad is delicious whether you’re serving hot or cold. It’s loaded with plant protein and you need only one pan, so what can be better than that on a busy day!
As empty nesters I now cook for only two, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s necessary to cook small! In fact, I prefer to make a couple of large batches of multifunctional dishes in one afternoon. Most weeks that involves grilling a couple of pans full of delicious vegetables and roasting them with spices. They will serve us well several nights a week over rice or pasta or to wrap in spring rolls. I also cook up some of my WALNUT BURGERS and have them for lunch or dinner. And then there are batches of beans, which I roast in the air fryer for a nice crispness. My current favorite brand of pasta is the healthy BANZA (you are welcome!).
Banza is “powered by chickpeas” (haha, love that!) and it comes in all of the usual types like spaghetti, shells and more. Chickpeas are filled with good protein and topped with lentils they are a powerhouse. Cook up a batch of this pasta and eat the leftovers cold the next day and create a pasta salad. In this recipe for easy lentil bolognese salad I made it specifically to eat cold for lunch.
The ingredients for the lentil bolognese salad are easy to keep on hand so you can make it on a moment’s notice. Keep red lentils in the pantry at all times and you’ll be surprised how often you use them! I’m going to share a soup dish that is my daughter’s recipe made with red lentils soon. Other panty staples here are jarred marinara ( I like Raos) sauce and dried spices. Produce items are baby carrots, onion and garlic. Easy and simple!
If you’ve never cooked red lentils before you’ll be surprised at how quickly they cook up. Plus they don’t get mushy, as do some of the other lentil varieties.
The bolognese has a meaty texture with the lentils and you’ll never miss that meat! I served it here over brown rice pasta as a cold salad and the next day we enjoyed the sauce over the Banza shells. With a loaf of crusty French bread to go along, it’s so yummy and good for you as well. If you make this easy lentil bolognese salad please let me know!
Easy Vegan Lentil Bolognese Salad
- Food Processor
- Large Pan
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup regular or baby carrots
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup white wine optional
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry basil
- Using your food processor, pulse until the onion and garlic are cut into small pieces.
- Set aside the onion and garlic mixture.
- In the same food processor add the carrots and pulse into small pieces. Substitute with shredded carrots if desired.
- Heat water in a large fry pan for a couple of minutes and carefully add the onion and garlic mixture.
- Cook for about 3 minutes until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the carrots and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Let the mixture come to a boil then turn the heat down to a low and let it simmer for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are completely cooked. If the mixture gets dry before it’s done you can add more wine or water.
- Serve hot or cold with any pasta of your choice, or over rice or zucchini noodles. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan cheese when serving for extra flavor. Garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro.
See more summer salads…we have plenty!
Please visit my friends below!
15 Delicious Summer Salad Recipes
Asian Noodle Salad with Toasted Sesame Dressing // Happy Happy Nester
Simple Burrata and Tomato Salad // Craftberry Bush
Strawberry Avocado and Pecan Summer Salad // Maison de Pax
Fresh Sauteed Beet & Butternut Salad // French Country Cottage
Pasta Salad With Summer Tomatoes // Modern Glam
Asian Noodle Salad // Finding Lovely
Easy Spinach and Fruit Summer Salad Recipe // Zevy Joy
Blueberry Summer Salad // My 100 Year Old Home
Pacific Northwest Cobb Salad // Lemon Grove Lane
Refreshing & Healthy Cauliflower Summer Salad // My Sweet Savannah
Easy Vegan Lentil Bolognese Salad // Shabbyfufu
Roasted Beet and Goat Cheese Salad With Balsamic Dressing // Twelve on Main
Summer Peach Spinach Salad // Sanctuary Home Decor
The Easiest Bow Tie Pasta Salad // Your Marketing BFF
Mexican Salad Bowl // Jennifer Maune
leslie @lemongrovelane says
I’ve noticed the chick pea pasta and have yet to try it. Delicious and healthy ingredients here .. love lentils and yes they cook quick making them a great addition to the menu on on weekday.
Tana-Your Marketing BFF says
This is a new one for my recipe box! Excited to try it…
Rachel K Paxton says
This is perfect for me since I am GF!
Janine Waite says
We have an Indian grocery store here and they have a whole wall full of different kinds of lentils. I finally was able to find some red lentils!!! I’ll have to try your delicious looking recipe!
I just adore lentils. This looks delicious.