A fun and simple paper plate craft that will show you how to make a flower wreath. This wreath idea can be adapted to any season, simply by changing the color!
If you’re a crafter, I highly recommend keeping a small supply of materials around to use when the mood strikes! I love to make things and have devoted the closet in my home office to use as a craft center. It’s not the best organized place, but I have a section for storing paper crafting supplies. That being said, you don’t need an entire closet and can store things like paper craft supplies in a clear plastic bin. That will really help you when time permits and you’re feeling creative. With everything going on in the world right now I wanted to share this fun distraction to your day.
Paper Plate Craft – Make A Flower Wreath
- Paper plates
- Crepe paper in a variety of colors
- School Glue
- Hot Glue (optional for flowers)
- Floral tape
- Floral wire
- Green paint
I recently shared this easy DOLLAR TREE SPRING WREATH DIY and you can find most of these supplies at any dollar store as well. I’m including a template to create the crepe paper flowers that are the beautiful part of this wreath!
Paint the paper plate green and allow to dry. Don’t worry about painting the center, since you’ll be cutting it out to make the wreath.
- When dry, cut the center out from a paper plate. These plain white paper plates have a mark on the edge that makes it easy.
Download the flower template and print it out. You’ll find it at THIS LINK and I suggest printing it out on white poster board if you have any.
- Trace the petals onto colorful crepe paper and cut out.
- Trace the fringe onto colorful paper that will be the center of your flowers. Cut out and then fringe the edges with scissors.
- Trace the leaf onto shades of green paper and cut out.
- GLUE THE LEAVES ONTO THE PAPER PLATE CRAFT WREATH FIRST. Make sure that you cover the entire wreath.
To make the flowers you will need to start by creating a bud to work off of. Loop the floral wire and add a crumpled piece of crepe paper at the top. Wrap this with more crepe paper and then use floral tape to secure by wrapping around over and over.
Start adding your petals all around the bud. Continue this until the flower is as full as you’d like! Secure with floral tape when finished.
Experiment with different sizes and colors. Also play around with some centers having only the bud and others having the fringed stamen. Once you get the hang of making these crepe paper flowers you’ll be addicted to the fun, and no cutting machine is required!
Snip off any excess wire off the bottom of the flowers, since you’ll be gluing these to the paper plate craft wreath. I prefer using hot glue to adhere, but school glue works well too.
Glue leaves and flowers onto the paper plate in an arrangement that you like.
- *TIP* Save a piece of the wire that you cut from creating your flower and make a hanger for the back of your paper plate craft wreath. Adhere the hanger to the wreath with floral tape.
A fun project that you can do on a rainy day or any day that you need to be inside. If you make one, I’d love to see it!